11.9.10

24 Things for my 24th Year

I turn twenty-three in a half hour. The last year of my life has been strange and funny and difficult and beautifully tumultuous. I lived in a new city on a new coast, I made new friends, I felt new kinds of joy and new kinds of pain, and I learned a great deal from a few terrific people. Now I'm back in New York, and it feels like anything could happen at any moment. I've begun studying for my 200 hour teaching certification at Laughing Lotus, a super fabulous yoga center in Chelsea. And I'm playing with the idea of moving into Brooklyn. I'm listening to men shout in the streets of Crown Heights and I'm feeling happy.

I have drawn up a list for my 24th year.

You can only loosely plan. You can have a rough idea of what you'd like your life to look like, but at this point, so many things will inevitably shift and change and be gained or lost. There's no telling how it will all unfold, so it's best to be open and curious, at least in my opinion. But these are the 24 people/places/things that I would like to encounter in the next twelve months. 


1. New England/Canada road trip
2. Submit manuscripts 
3. Intern at literary magazine
4. Plan an extended trip abroad: Trans Siberian railway/India
5. Write an analytical paper
6. Become a certified yoga instructor
7. Preserve/can/pickle various vegetables & fruits
8. Write a screenplay
9. Write a collection of short fiction/poetry
10. Conduct an extensive interview project
11. Make a short film (or two)
12. Make a book
13. Take a solo hike in the mountains
14. Learn how to wear lipstick
15. Learn how to use a letterpress
16. Travel by bicycle as much as possible
17. Volunteer on a farm/urban garden
18. Learn how to give a good massage
19. Hold a successful, formal dinner party
20. Begin to pay off student loans
21. Thoroughly research M.F.A. programs in California, New York, Texas, Rhode Island, and Georgia
22. Conceptualize & execute a photography project
23. Read at least two more volumes of In Search of Lost Time
24. Nurture existing friendships/cultivate new friendships







No comments:

Post a Comment