15.6.10

Detox Day Two

It makes sense to detox right around now for a litany of reasons, but the most obvious one is this: all the raw, delicious fruits and vegetables you could want are available and ubiquitous. I walked into a co-op this morning and saw dozens of things I could eat - not a common experience for the detox-er. 


Breakfast: Orange.

Lunch: Raw kale and romaine salad w/ Annie's Green Goddess Organic dressing. Big mug of miso soup with carrots and kale.

Snack: Kombucha. Blueberries.

Snack: Grapefruit. Grapes. Ginger tea w/ lemon and organic honey (lots and lots of this).

Dinner: Kombucha. Kale, parsley and romaine salad w/ pumpkin seeds. Peach.

The trick is to eat frequently and/or to eat large quantities of the above. Juicing is an ideal way to detox because it saves you a lot of chewing (kale can take a while to break down, especially if it isn't super fresh). Am I hungry? Yes, I'm hungry. But a detox is also a period intended for contemplation, and if you can get past the immediate discomfort of hunger, it is possible to access  deeply hidden emotional and psychological matter. Not to mention, my yoga practice has shifted in a matter of days. This evening I attended a class taught by The Yoga Space's lovely director, Michele Lowe. Despite my hunger and fatigue at the end of a long workday, I found myself flowing through Surya Namaskara A and B without breaking much of a sweat and my twists were much deeper. 

The most significant element of the class was the sense that it was really a preparation for stillness, rest, and eventually, sleep. I love this ritualistic aspect of the practice; I love that specific sequences aim to do different things, and that the postures themselves are everything and nothing - they are symbolic, functional, and yet many maintain that asana means very little, if anything at all, without the other philosophical and spiritual limbs.








On an entirely separate note:


Larry David was sexy. Is sexy?

No comments:

Post a Comment